Saturday 30 January 2010

more wildlife....

Hello from a very humid Mzuzu
This week has been extremely hot and humid with some torrential rains showers, which in turn brings out the wildlife! Here you can see one of the many snails which live in my garden - they are in abundance - shame that we don't eat them - there would never be a scarcity of food! They are rather large compared to snails found in UK.
I felt very bad the other day when I lifted a basket in my house only to find that I had scared this poor lizard and so he shed his tail. Here you can see the poor lizard without his tail, and on the next picture you can see the tail without the lizard!!


On Wednesday, a PCI container arrived in Mzuzu so there was great excitement as it was opened between showers! I received many boxes for preschool and I want to say a big thank you to all the churches and groups who sent them - already we have given boxes of materials to 11 schools within Mzuzu, and they are delighted to have some materials. We are planning training in the next two months within Mzuzu so the training boxes are really useful. Thanks to one and all for these gifts of love to the children and caregivers in Malawi.

One slight problem when a container arrives is that we do not have anywhere to store the boxes until we can deliver them so this picture shows you the state of my hall today!!! My spare bedroom is also packed full, so no visitors this week please!!!

My camera was not on hand this week but we are blessed in school with a German Volunteer who has come to YWAM (Youth with a Mission) in Mzuzu. She is a young girl doing a gap year before going to University. She has been a great help as we had 2 teachers off sick and 1 admitted in the hospital! Life is never straight forward here.
One of our colleagues in Education department was admitted in hospital during the week and sadly died on Friday. One of our teachers from school was admitted to hospital on Wednesday afternoon - it was Thursday evening before a doctor saw her. I was with her today (Saturday) and the doctor had come again this morning and put a drip up and took blood from her. The drip had finished at lunchtime and had not been checked since (it was about 4pm when I visited). Please pray for our teacher that proper medical care will be given and that she will recover soon.
In between all of the above, I entertained visitors from Ballymoney, and have been planning our training programme for the next two months..........

So its been a busy week with one thing and another, but its been enjoyable.
Wishing you a great week ahead
Diane

4 comments:

  1. Hi Di

    As always great to catch up. Hearing about the hospital makes me appreciate the NHS.
    Just walked home from a friend's house, full moon,a dusting of snow and still - very beautiful and very cold.
    Have a good week. Love Mox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane

    Glad to read the container arrived safely.
    You will have been able to brush up on the North Antrim Dialect over the past few days! I wonder if any of them could find Bunshanacloney.
    Hope your teacher friend is on the mend.
    Bye for now. Love Ian & Co

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sitting in Heathrow and just figured out how to add my photo - scary - I will change it some time so as not to upset you too much.Have It was good to read your blogs and get up to date with what you are doing - you never seem to have a dull moment. And now for the good news - we have shipped two vehicles to Malawi. The bad news ------- they are not for you - they are headed for Blantyre. I hope that we will be in a position to send a container to the North very soon and Uel will hopefully nominate two for your part of the world !1 - i will keep you posted. Diane & I will be flying out on 20th May and hopefully will be in Malawi a week or so after that - - again we will let you know what we are doing as soon as we can. I hope you are keeping well and Diane & I can't wait to see you again. Love Carson & Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diane - great to see what you are up to via the blog. Some great photographs. you are looking well. Trust you had a good birthday!
    Don't like the sould of your house guests this week - can you begin to imagine how I would react if I came accross that spider!!

    Take care. Love Joyce x

    ReplyDelete