Sunday 17 July 2011

Hello everyone

I hope this finds you all well - as I mentioned in the last blog I had flu which was awful, then a fortnight ago I got a bite on my arm which became infected and from the wrist to just above the elbow was swollen up like a balloon - a hefty dose of antibiotics and its back to its normal size again and thankfully I feel a lot better.

This week I have been interviewing candidates for trainers in early childhood development at Presbytery level. This involves travelling to all the Presbyteries, and although I did not take photos at the interviews, I did take some along the roads. The roads here are notorious for broken down vehicles and all sorts of everything. We travelled behind this lorry laden with wood and a man hanging onto the back of it!!


This bus has gone off the road and has been there for some weeks..........


The lorry on the right is broken down on a bend which is so dangerous especially at night....


and this lorry is broken down - as you can see it has quite a heavy load and for those of you who know the hills of Mzimba, driving a car is a challenge, never mind a lorry which is overloaded!!


There was another accident which had just happened and I forgot to upload the picture - a car and a lorry had a head-on collision - and the amazing thing was that because there was nothing they could do, the drivers were just sitting at the side of the road chatting!!!

On Friday I was in Engalaweni which is near the Zambian border. On the way I noticed that the village grain stores were all full of maize, so hopefully there is plenty of food for a few months anyway!!





I love the road from Mzimba to Mzuzu - it has so many beautiful trees. ....



Unfortunately the timber companies realise that the wood is rather good and so the trees are rapidly disappearing........





Today, I had the pleasure of hosting this group from Downshire Presbyterian Church who have been here for a couple of weeks. Over lunch we discussed their visit and as you can see they are all in great form.



Unfortunately the vehicle they are using had a flat wheel and, being Sunday there was no place to take it to be fixed so it had to be changed......


Later in the afternoon as I was sitting in the garden in the sunshine (its been really cold and damp here all week so the sun was a real blessing), I noticed this rather lovely black bird with orange beak, legs and feet. Its a Village Indigobird which is actually quite common here. Its unfortunate that I didn't get a closer shot but I think its camera shy!! It flew off after I took this shot.



Tomorrow I am having a workshop with a group of our trainers, and then its more interviews for the week ahead, fuel permitting. For the past couple of days we have had no diesel so I am hopeful that I will get some tomorrow!

Wishing you all a wonderful week where ever you are in the world. Thanks for your support for the blog.

Love Diane x

3 comments:

  1. Hi Di, I came home from Toome today and saw a car on its roof, too much speed and hit the water!! We all really miss you here, and although your work there is fantastic, I worry when you are not well. Take care sis, Love you loads. Lorna xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Di

    Good to have you back on-line and, I hope, fully recovered. I was reading about the fuel shortages and hope that things will get easier in that regard. Keep up the good work, I really look forward to your blog every week. Have a good week. Love from Mox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane, Good to hear your feeling better!!! Love all the pictures. Hope all the interviews have gone well!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete