Thursday 29 December 2011

joys and sorrows...

Hello again, and I hope you all had a very happy Christmas!  I had a lovely Christmas day, we had a church service which lasted almost 3 hours (better than some in the city that lasted 5 hours!). It was a good celebration of Jesus birth with the children doing a nativity drama which was great!

Christmas in Malawi is not the commercial hype that we find in the UK, however the shops in Mzuzu in the couple of days before Christmas were packed out with people buying foodstuffs!!  The Santa thing and giving presents doesn't really happen here which is great!!!  People usually eat rice if they can afford it on Christmas day and they have chicken with it or goat, so there were many goats and chickens being slaughtered all around!

After church the fun began - I had invited some friends to have a BBQ in the garden as it was a really hot sunny day.  Unfortunately there was no wind so we had to create our own draught!!  It didn't take too long to get it going and we had so much food.....no turkey  but chicken, sausages, burgers and lots of salads, followed by a pineapple tart, lemon meringue pie and fruit salad.......




The children had fun blowing up  balloons and playing games........not only the children I might add!!




doesn't Bongiwe look cute cute with her green halo!

and this is Asimenye the baby I helped to deliver about 6 months ago


 We played some good old fashioned games like hide and seek, pass the parcel and the one which caused most hilarity - pin the tail on the donkey!!



This was almost the whole group.....the joys of Christmas time!!



Then came the sorrows.  For those of you who have not known me since I came to Malawi, I was once engaged to a lovely guy called Fred.  Even though our relationship broke up we continued to be good friends, and I would say Fred was my closest friend. He was there for me in times of joy and sorrow, we shared love and laughter, and he was an amazing musician.  For those of you who have known me for a long time you may have met Fred - in fact he visited Ireland about 11 years ago.


On 27th December, I received a message that he had died.....well my heart almost stopped too.  Even today I am struggling to believe it.  He had not been feeling well and he was rushed to the hospital but he died.  His funeral was on 28th December but I did not manage to go because of distance (its about a 10 hour drive to his home).  Spare a thought for his family, his two brothers and sister who are left  behind and their families.  Please also pray for me that I will find peace in my heart to deal with this shock.  I do hope to go and visit the family and see the grave sometime soon.


Taken about 8 years ago
I know that Christmas and New Year are not easy for everyone, but I do hope that the year 2012 will be a good one for you where ever you are.  I wish you God's blessings, love, joy, peace and hope for the coming months.


With love
Diane

7 comments:

  1. Fred was a lovely guy, and the shock is hitting us all, because we know how special he was. Big hugs for you sis at this very sad time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your blog which I read regularly. It's always so interesting and informative. Thank you too for sharing the news of the sudden death of your dear friend. We are sad with you. We will be praying for you and his family that God, who you serve, will not be found wanting, but will be close to you in your deep sadness and loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane
    So sorry to hear of the death of your dear friend Fred, which the group from Ballycarry did meet on our first visit to malawi back in 2000. My prayers and thoughts are with you at this time and also his family at this time.
    Thank you for your blogs which I ready regularly.
    God's blessing of love, joy, peace and hope for 2012.
    Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diane, Just read your latest blog - though not yet a blogger - thinking of you especially in light of your sad news and looking forward to seeing you in Mzuzu soon. Love HQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane - so sorry to hear the sad news of Fred's sudden passing. Will be praying for his family, and you too, as you all seek to come to terms with this painful reality.

    Good to hear you had a good Christmas. As always, your pics are so good, helping to add a further dimension to the story. Keep up the good work!

    God bless you richly in the year ahead.

    Ann joins with me in sending you our love, Nigel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane- am so sorry to read of the death of your dear friend, this is the first time to read your blog and yet so timely. I want to assure you we will be praying for you that you will know the comfort of the Lord in your heart at this time. We will be remembering you in our PW in Portrush tonight -Joan K x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to everyone for your kind and thoughtful comments - Fred was indeed a lovely person and I will miss him so much.

    ReplyDelete