Tuesday 19 March 2013

frustrations..........

Hello everyone,

The title of today's blog does not reflect the week but today - I have been trying to post this all morning and uploading the photographs has taken only about 3 hours - I am told patience is a virtue........

I begin this week with a picture of a ghecko outside my back door last week in the evening - I just thought it was a nice picture.  I never realised how badly the door was painted until I saw this photo!!



I have had another busy week - we started last Monday with some of our trainers coming to Mzuzu for a training exercise in Monitoring and Evaluation (similar to the one I did in Chitipa a few weeks ago).  We chose 4 private Early Childhood Centres within the city and asked them if they would allow us to do our training exercise.  We all got quite a shock with some of the conditions that these 'private' ECD centres allow the children to be in.  This centre is outside as you can see, which is not very practical in the rainy season.  We found children sitting at desks with nothing to do.....



The same centre a couple of days later when we visited spontaneously and found them inside this tiny room because it was raining!  


This  was another private centre where we found many children from 10 months up to 5 years.  I was shocked here because there were 15 children under 2 years being cared for by one person .........how??  



The sad thing for me and for some of our other trainers is that we have trained the caregivers in these centres.  One of the centres refused to have us as the children (under 6) were in the middle of their exams!!!  The mind boggles!  Anyway, as I told the trainers it is a learning exercise for all of us - in what not to do!!

On a different note altogether, as those of you are in the UK are probably aware this is the bicentenary year of Dr David Livingstone's birth.  Because Malawi has a great link with Scotland and indeed because Dr Livingstone is accredited for bringing the gospel to this country, we had a church celebration on Sunday.  It was not too long - the service lasted only 4 hours!!  We had representatives from the Synod of Zambia, and the Anglican Bishop of the Diocese of Northern Malawi.  (this was great as they are both former students of Zomba Theological College and I had not seen the Rev Chipeta from Zambia since 1998!)

Here you can see one of the choirs - I just happened to press the button when they raised their hands!!



Helen Scott, a missionary with here from the Church of Scotland represented the moderator of COS and read a letter from him to our church.



Rev Mateya Nkhoma (acting Vice Chancellor of the University of Livingstonia) gave us the history of Dr David Livingstone's journey through Africa.  I am sure many of you know him as he is a previous General Secretary and visited the UK many times.


The Guest of Honour was Rev W Kawale (a past General Secretary of Nkhoma Synod who now lectures at Mzuzu university).  He gave a very moving account of how we have to accredit Christianity, commerce and civilization to Dr David Livingstone.


The minister preaching was Rev Samuel Kalopa Mhone who is stationed in Lilongwe Presbytery (another former Zomba student).  A very powerful preacher!!



Afterwards there was a reception for invited guests and here you can see Rev Mhone relaxing with Rev Binnie Mwakasungula (who many folk in Ireland know also!)


So, I went to church at 8am and was home by 1.30pm......

Then as usual on Sunday afternoon I walk with two friends Jodi and Rochelle.  We take various routes around the city, and sometimes we find the paths a bit dicey!  However on Sunday afternoon it was dry and quite dull so we had no problems.  I took this as I was walking over one of the bridges!


And just as I was coming in the gate home the sun was setting in front of me - beautiful colours!


On Monday, I set off with Nicolas to Mzimba to meet another group of ToT's to do another M&E excercise with them.  Again we went to three private centres within Mzimba, and I don't know about you but I would not send my child to this centre!!  The amazing thing was that the caregiver knew me - I trained her in 2008!!  (but did she understand I wonder??)


The second centre we went to was in a church and as you can see below it was really a classroom setup with a blackboard and chairs - for 3 year olds................ (makes me want to cry!!)


The third centre was much better (it should be as one of my trainers is a caregiver there).  We found these children in a 'car' driving to Mzuzu and having a lot of fun!!


After the exercise, we were going to have a meeting in a hall, and on the way back I just had to take a picture of this shop sign 'Trust Nobody'!!  


So we had our meeting with the trainers to evaluate and discuss different training that is coming up in April.  During the meeting there was a severe thunderstorm - and of course my car alarm went off so I got soaked going to switch it off!



Today is a Synod holiday as it is David Livingstone's day - it has given me a chance to catch up with emails and the blog, although I had a meeting with two colleagues this morning too!  So not really a rest day but I am thankful for it.

I will finish this time with a picture of the sunflowers - they are all over the place at the minute and I think they are such a happy flower - always want to make me smile!! 




I trust this will be a healthy and happy week for you!  

Blessings,
Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment