Monday 7 December 2009

shake, rattle and roll....

Last night as I was working on my computer suddenly the earth was moving literally!! There have been 4 earthquakes in Karonga district some 95 miles north of Mzuzu, and even here we had some quite strong tremors - all the dishes in my dresser for those of you who have been here were shaking like crazy! The largest earthquake was 5.8 so I am hoping that not too many people in Karonga have been hurt and that there is not too much damage. I will keep you posted.

............and just as I am writing this the house is shaking again...another earthquake in the same area, 4.8 this time. What is happening??

Here is the evidence of what happened. This morning there was another earthquake around 11.30am of a magnitude of 5.0. I have just spoken to someone in Karonga whose house has been damaged - the floor just came up. Many people in the villages have had their houses broken and many people had to go to the local hospital for treatment. Trees were uprooted and people are scared. Apparantly there was a 'big noise' like a ship on the river coming closer and closer. The lady I was talking to told me they have been told not to go into their houses tonight because a really big tremor is coming, so there is a lot of fear.
And for the Hillsborough folk who were in Kasowa - the church is really badly cracked and is going to fall down apparantly and even the manse. There has been a lot of devastation in the village and people are terrified of a recurrance.
Please pray for these people that they might have some rest tonight.
Diane

1 comment:

  1. Hi Di, Hope you have stopped shaking! Must have been terrifying. I remember being in a tremor in coventry, about 2.0 and that was a life changing experience! Sticking stamps on as I type, hope to talk soon.

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete