Saturday 3 August 2013

Training and more training!

Hello everyone, hope you are enjoying the summer holidays!!

Here it is the cold season and boy has it been cold this past week with very heavy rain in Mzuzu (too heavy for the time of year).  I have been busy since the last blog - because I am going for deputation in September there is so much to do to leave............

Have been out and about a lot as we have much training happening at present.  On my travels I meet many lorries like this one piled high with tobacco - many of them are broken down on the road causing havoc!


We had training of caregivers in Chihame in Bandawe presbytery on the lakeshore and I went to supervise - here you can see some of the local materials used for play!!


Our training always includes a lot of singing and dancing as we are an oral society and learn much through song!


The whole group had their picture taken before I left - unfortunately it is in the shade but for some reason they wanted it behind the bush!!



At the same time in Rumphi Presbytery we had caregiver training going on.  We partnered with another organisation called Mathunka who have 8 CBCC's and we trained their caregivers with our own.  I also went to supervise and found them having a great time!




The lady in pink is one of our trainers from Livingstonia Presbytery and she was doing a great job with the caregivers!



Nicolas was facilitating along with George and Eliza and here you can see them drafting their final report before they went home.  George is our trainer in Rumphi Presbytery.


Travelling in Rumphi can be a challenge and so Mathunka sent a car to pick up their participants- the lady climbing on the back of the pickup has twins - one on her back and the other one on a child's back in front of her!  


As you are aware from some of my previous blogs, there are often children coming to play in my garden.  I have not been home much recently but one day they were all there in the afternoon playing football.  The ball got stuck up the tree and the girls decided to throw their shoes up to see if they could bring the ball down.  This did not work but one of the boys went up and brought the ball and one shoe down - the other shoe is still there......


Last weekend I went with a friend to Vwaza wildlife reserve which is about a 2 hour drive from here!  I have had some amazing (but perhaps not good) experiences with elephants there in the past and was somewhat nervous.  However, there were no elephants to be seen and we had a relaxing day watching hippos, crocodile, warthog, baboon, kudu and impala.  There were also a lot of birds around.

Baboon with baby

Hippo in the water


Some of you will remember last year I went to Vwaza and came back having been bitten by a Tsetse fly and had a very nasty infection on one arm which took quite a long time to recover!  Well............this time I got bitten on the arm again and it was really painful - driving home I was in agony.  The next morning however it was fine but my ankle was swollen and painful just like the last time.  I had to go to the doctor and get some medication and unfortunately he has advised me not to go to an area with Tsetse fly as I tend to react rather badly!!  I am happy to say it is fine now!

This past week I had a trip to Euthini to supervise another caregiver training.  It was a great day out and we had a lot of fun - it was great to see 2 men caregivers!!


There were many photo opportunities and I especially liked this oxcart passing the grocery store - I thought you would appreciate it!!


On the way home we passed this shop too!


Today I was invited to Mphatso Children's Foundation on the lakeshore to address the caregivers - we trained the caregivers a couple of years ago.  I know its the weekend but this weekend is packed - I am also out tomorrow!!  It was great to see these people again and hear their experiences.  Unfortunately I got stuck in the sand but got out eventually. It was really windy by the lake and the sand was blowing all over the place!!


This is how the sky looked today - quite dull and overcast and COLD!!  As I write I have a blanket round my shoulders!!  But then we don't have heating in our houses...


So its a busy time and I am tired.  I look forward to a week when it is not so busy and I can rest a bit.  I value your prayers for safe travelling as I have much travelling this coming week also.  Today I passed three accidents on the way to the lakeshore....the roads of Malawi are really dangerous!

Thank you for your continued support, for taking time to read my blogs and for all the comments - I really appreciate you all!  Have a great week.  (and happy birthday Maureen!!)

Blessings,

Diane

1 comment:

  1. I've been away and found your recent post on my return. It really points up the contrasts between our western society and the developing world. A mother of young twins but also a caregiver! No health and safety regulations on that lorry!! Children playing with the simplest of materials - it's amazing to see how technology is taking over playtime here, reducing verbal interactions and the physical exercise of play outdoors. Also, how do you do it? Training appears to be such fun! Sent with prayers for your continuing safety.

    ReplyDelete