Saturday 17 August 2013

Work and holidays combined!

Hello everyone,

Have had a great couple of weeks - time is flying past so quickly!  Started out with training in Champhira Presbytery which was down this lovely African road!


Mloyiso is our trainer in this Presbytery and this was his first attempt at organising a workshop - he did really well and you can see here the participants - some of whom walked 14 kms just to learn about ECD!!


Singing and dancing...

Malawi has quite a large Muslim population and it was the celebration of Eid al-Fitr so they were breaking the month of fasting with a feast.  I think this guy was late as he was really rushing along!



Had a lovely surprise late one afternoon when there was an 'odi' at my gate, and I went out to find a very tired Florida who had just come on a bus from Lilongwe.  Many of you in Ireland will have met Florida as she has been there a few times!  She stayed the night and we talked and talked until I almost fell asleep and had to tell her to go to bed!

Add caption

More training this time at Enukweni where Freeman who you can see here was the lead trainer!  It was well organised and the participants were having a great time!


Group work at the training

As I am going on deputation in September I had hoped to have a week off at the end of August.  However, I have been invited to be part of a working group in materials development for Early Childhood in Africa so that plan failed.  The working group is in Johannesburg though so its not all bad.  I had organised to go with a friend to South Luwangwa National Park in Zambia that week though and was pleased that it was able to be changed and so we went this past week instead!

So off we went on Monday last and what a thrill when we arrived at our destination and I knew the guy welcoming us as he used to work in Liwonde near Zomba.  Then when we went on Safari, its my old friend Godfrey who is our guide.  So it was a great couple of days - here are a few of the animals we spotted!













 Arrived back in Malawi yesterday and Helen had to be back in Ekwendeni this morning so we left before 5am and arrived around 9.30 in Ekwendeni.  I had some visitors today which was nice and then in the afternoon Pemphero and Blessings came with me to the market where we had a lot of fun buying vegetables!!



We passed on the mice though............


Coming home we passed Aunt Mabels shop where Pemphero thought it was hilarious that there were 'statues just like me'!!  Not sure if that is a compliment or not but it made me laugh!!


And to finish this off here is the sunset a few minutes ago from the back door - what a wonderful world we have!


Its been a great couple of weeks.  This coming week I am taking a workshop myself and then I leave at the weekend for the working workshop in Johannesburg!!  No rest for the wicked eh!!

Enjoy your week.
Blessings,
Diane


5 comments:

  1. Great to have the update and I am sure you are looking fine - if the statues are anything to go by you have changed your style somewhat! Have a great week. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Florida looks younger than ever. What a lovely surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you managed to squeeze in that break! I'm sure it was lovely to catch up with quite a few friends in the process. I hope you feel refreshed not only for the work of these remaining weeks(maybe there will be some time for relaxation in Jo'burg)?! but also for deputation. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diane, hope u are so well. I enjoy these ramblings btw. Have u managed to find use for the materials we gave at the conference. Blessings Anne from Montessori Conference, Stellenbosch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne - thank you for getting in touch - I did send you an email but perhaps you never received it! Can you send me it again and I will retry - we have been using your materials in our centres! Blessings to you too!
      Diane

      Delete